Fields concurrent hearing protection and auditory situational awareness device to Soldiers to increase hearing readiness and reduce hearing damage/subsequent post-service hearing disabilities resulting from high noise exposure for combat Soldiers.
The Tactical Communication and Protective System (TCAPS) provides concurrent hearing protection and auditory situational awareness, as well as the capability to interface with specific handheld tactical radios. TCAPS-Lite provides the same level of hearing protection and situational awareness, but does not interface with handheld tactical radios. Historically, Soldiers have had to choose between hearing protection and force protection. As a combat force multiplier, TCAPS maintains hearing protection and situational awareness, while enabling Soldier to use existing tactical radio resulting in an increase of mission effectiveness, safety, and survivability. TCAPS-Lite provides the same combat force multiplier capabilities, specifically for Soldiers who are not assigned a radio.
Benefits to the Warfighter:
- Prevention of hearing injury
- Enhanced Command, Control and Situational Awareness
- Enhanced ability to locate and identify opposing forces while wearing hearing protection
- Seamless integration with existing communication equipment
Current Program Status:
- The TCAPS POR had its Capabilities Production Document rescinded in January 2019
- The TCAPS Program Office provides remaining POR fielded items to requesting units
- The TCAPS Program Office continues to support other Army Program Offices in support of recommending and procuring of TCAPS-based solution for current Army units such as the Security Forces Assistance Brigade (SFAB) and the Integrated Tactical Network (ITN)
- The TCAPS Program Office continues to support other Program Offices in development of hearing protection and radio interoperability requirements, for such areas as a Qualified Product List for TCAPS-Lite type product, and assisting in the development of the next generation TCAPS-type Capabilities Production Document